Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Deserving the Arthur Ashe Courage Award

Caitlyn Jenner will get The Arthur Ashe Courage Award but I can think of many others who deserve it much more. People who I met as I enjoyed dancing at the clubs with my 2 of my best friends, one has passed on due to AIDS and the other moved to Dallas where he can live a normal life with his beloved partner and without prejudice. A decade or two ago there were many transgender people in Nashville seeking the nightlife where they could be themselves.  Courage and bravery defined them. One lovely lady stands out in my mind and I will never forget her. I jumped into the big dance floor, a sea of dancing humans and after two shots of Vodka I was in utter release to the pounding music. I decided to take a rest and then I saw her standing there. She was over six feet tall and the high heels made her taller. She was a big lady with broad shoulder yet she was as classic as a 1950's TV housewife with no doubt of her femininity. Her clothing was impeccable, in a 50's-60's fashion, a skirt below the knees with matching Jacket and silk blouse. A Jackie O hat upon her head, she demurely held her not too big rectangular bag by its handle in her white gloved hands. On her face, beneath the makeup, she looked longingly for her prince. A prince who didn't come that night. I was drawn to her like a magnet. As I approached her face lit up with a smile. We found a place to sit where we could talk and we chatted for a couple of hours. Her confidences were funny, joyful and at time heartbreaking. But they were all brave and courageous. I don't remember her name and I long ago lost her contact but she lives vividly in my heart.  Beautiful souls like her are the people who deserve the award for courage. 
http://m.nashvillescene.com/nashville/losing-the-connection/Content?oid=1191391

No comments:

Post a Comment